1. Specialty – Clinical, Forensic, and Industrial Audiology. Doctor of Audiology, Master of Audiology/Hearing Science, and Bachelor of Speech Pathology/Audiology. State license AUD 348 since 1976.
2. Current Position – Private Practice, Industrial Consultant, VA Medical Disability Examiner, Expert Witness for the State of California.
3. Competencies – The evaluation and treatment of hearing and balance disorders in infants, children, adults, and seniors. Evaluating causation, providing rehabilitation guidelines and therapy, and assessing short and long-term outcomes. Areas of experience include:
* Clinical and Forensic Audiology
* Industrial Audiology
* OSHA Regulations and AMA Rating for Permanent Disability
* Airbag and Blast Exposures
* Traumatic Brain Injury
* Head and Neck Injury
* Hearing Aid Design, Fitting, and Outcome Analysis
* Auditory Electrophysiology Evaluation
* Central Auditory Processing Evaluation
* Vestibular and Central Balance Evaluation
* Geriatric Hearing and Balance Care
* ADA and Discrimination
4. Examination and Test Experience – Electrophysiology including Auditory Evoked Potentials (VEMP, ABEP, ECoG, Cochlear Microphonic, P300, MLR, ALR) and facial nerve EMG. Otoacoustic emissions of outer hair cell activity/damage. Central Auditory Processing tests for brain function. Auditory acuity diagnostic and industrial testing (Hearing testing, industrial annual testing, HINT, Bekesy, QuickSin). Balance testing (ENG, VNG, Dynamic Posturography). Fit testing of personal ear protection.
Hearing aid testing (ear probe microphone, electro-acoustic analysis). Middle ear immittance analysis and reflexes. Sound level meter readings and dosimetry for equipment and environments including TWA, IPIL, and sound spectrum analysis.
5. Specializations – 1). Training in tinnitus, hyperacusis, misophonia, and phonophobia evaluations and therapy. 2). Hearing conservation and causation determination with emphasis in environmental acoustics and OSHA/CALOSHA laws. 3). Central Auditory Processing evaluation, measurement, and therapy. 4). Evaluation and management of balance disorders from central and peripheral dysfunction.
6. Certifications – Board Certified in Audiology (1999 – Present) by the American Board of Audiology. Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Practitioner, Fellow (2010 – Present) by the Tinnitus Practitioners Association.
7. Current and Past Consulting Positions – Chevron Refining (13 years), Chevron Maritime Shipping, San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (15 years), Honeywell, British Petroleum, Tesoro Oil Refinery, and Care On Site (Occupational Medicine, 20 years). Responsibilities for these positions include workers’ compensation determinations, hearing conservation program design and development, and teaming with professionals in occupational medicine, safety and health, and industrial hygiene.
8. Teaching Experience – American Academy of Audiology national convention presentations, special courses in Audiology at California State University Los Angeles and Fullerton, and guest presenter at the House Ear Clinic, the Texas Audiology Association, and the City of Los Angeles. British Petroleum U.S. Health Conference.
9. Publications and Appearances – World Health News Today, the Health Channel 31. The Hearing Journal, “Hearing Matters”, Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins. Men’s Health Magazine, “Ear Protection at Concerts”. California, Texas, and National Academies in Audiology.